A new law (still pending approval in the Senate) will mean major changes for anyone wanting to rent their property to tourists for days/weeks. Given the rise of these rentals, especially online, the Spanish Government sees them as unfair competition for traditional tourism in hotels and similar.
Electricity costs 38% more in Spain than the average in the EU, with around half of each bill comprised of different regulated costs (including distribution and transportation).
Orange is the latest company to enter the price war for fibre optic domestic contracts. Fibre optic is not available everywhere in Spain yet, and remember to compare prices with other companies (Telefonica, Ono) before contracting.
Aguilar de Segarra is a village in Spain with only 200 inhabitants and nearly 60,000 vehicles registered! Why? Car leasing companies register their fleets in order to pay lower municipal car taxes (between 10€-25 € per year per car, compared with 100€ to 150€ in big cities). Apparently it’s totally legal…
Some cinemas are starting to offer bamboo paper cones filled with jamón instead of popcorn – Spain is Different!
Latest Offers & Articles on Money Saver Spain
- Tuesday 23 April is World Book Day, there’ll be lots of special promos at book stores where you live in Spain and also check out online offers at Fnac and Amazon Spain 5€ voucher for a 20€ spend (valid all April).
- Mother’s Day in Spain is on 5 May, so expect lots of promos in the next two weeks on “typical” presents such as fragrances and jewellery, eg get 30% off at Swarovski’s online outlet until 12 May.
- 19-21 Apr, 1st Outlet Fair in Madrid with over 200 stores taking part and offering top brands with big discounts. (Note: Entrance costs 2€)
- Up to 50% off at C&A online until 25 Apr and free delivery.
- 25% off Nestle personalised chocolates, order online & use code NESMAMA2013, ends 5 May.
- Discount vouchers available at La Oca (decoration and homeware) pick up a catalogue in store to find vouchers for 10€ for a 50€ spend, 100€ for a 500€ spend or 200€ for a 1000€ spend. Ends 30 Apr.
- Get up to 100€ back when you buy a new LG washing machine. Promo consists of up to 50€ cashback (depends on model) and an additional 50€ discount on your next electric bill if you have your electricity contract with Gas Natural Fenosa. Ends 31 May. More LG promos at El Corte Inglés, up to 500€ on gift card.
- Offers at El Corte Inglés cafeterias: BBQ chicken wings with 2 bottles of Coke for 5.95€ - download coupon, ends 30 Apr; crepes, syrup & cream with coffee for 4.50€ valid 17-22 h, ends 21 Apr.
- Maisons du Monde have launched their "lowcost" furniture range.
- Updated discount details at Spanish fashion stores, includes 30% off men’s suits with free alterations.
- If you live in Granada, or are thinking of visiting, take a look at this discount card. The card costs 10€, is valid for a full calendar year and offers discounts at cafeterias & restaurants of 10%-15%. (Thanks to Molly for this tip, visit her blog here).
- Also Granada diary date: the Science Park will be free on 11 May.
- Gold prices are at the lowest since March 2011. If you’re thinking of cashing in your old broken jewellery make sure you read our guide first to avoid getting even less cash.
- 25% discount on Rituals when you buy 2 items from their Sakura range, ends 5 May.
- Promo at General Optica: 20% off frames + 50% off all lenses + 2-year accidental breakage cover. Need to buy complete glasses and be a member of their Privilege Programme (18€ for 3-year membership with up to 3 additional members free).
- Find out all you need to know about your consumer rights if you’re thinking of buying items at Darty’s closing down sale.
- Up to 40% off summer collection at La Redoute, plus 10€ discount when you sign up for their newsletter.
- Promo at Rizos hairdressing salons – for a fixed monthly price you can visit as many times as you want (washed & styled).
- Ends this weekend, “8 Días de Oro” at El Corte Ingles in store and online..