Sales are on all over Spain but watch out for the following tricks:
- The magic word “hasta” (up to) before the discount percentage. You can see in many stores discounts of up to (tiny print) 70% (huge print) – of course, this just means that only a handful of items will actually have that discount.
- And the same goes for the word “desde” (from) with signs showing “Desde 5€” we challenge you to find more than one item!
- New laws that came into force last year have weakened consumer rights by letting stores bring in stock just for the sales. Although the law states that these items can’t be of inferior quality, stores are never fined due to the difficulty in proving it.
- Product placement: In clothing stores only winter items will be discounted, but by placing the new spring collection nearby stores are hoping to tempt you to buy higher-priced items too.
- Online stores may increase the free delivery threshold. Recheck before you order online from your favourite store.
Don’t forget to always get a receipt and if you have any doubts about your consumer rights re-read our article.
Check this week’s offers after the news…
Read out our Money Saving Resolutions for the New Year – bite-sized monthly tips to ensure you have more euros in your pocket.
Last year we mentioned that Renfe AVE long distance fares wouldn’t be increasing this year, however they have increased local and short-distance train fairs in 2014. Remember that you can get a “Bono AVE” – 10 trips in 4 months with a 35% discount.
Watch out with SMS messages informing you that you’ve won a prize – if the message tells you to call an 807 number in Spain DON’T: these are scams aimed at getting people to call premium rate numbers.
Contactless cards are now beginning to appear across Spain after initial testing in limited areas. Some banks will only be offering this system in the future, and you may not be aware you have a contactless card unless you ask. Although the contactless system is only used for payments under 20€ (for higher amounts you’ll still need to use your PIN), many are concerned about security issues.
From 1 Feb the SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) system comes into force and payments or bank transfers in Euros in Europe will require IBAN and BIC codes. This is also the case for any transfers made within Spain: for those that bank online it’s quite easy to find your IBAN and BIC codes, if you don’t bank online you’ll have to ask your branch for details.
Ryanair has lowered the cost of hold luggage on their flights from 5 Jan and remember that you are now allowed two cabin bags (check sizing).
Latest Offers & Articles on Money Saver Spain
– Asos men’s & women’s clothing sale online only, up to 70% off and free standard delivery. Also use code 10REBAJAS for an extra 10% off today only.
– Swarovski online sale (good idea for Valentine’s gift), stocks limited.
– Iberia Express offers, from 35€ one-way. Reserve before 19 Jan, for flights until June 2014.
– El Corte Ingles insurance is offering 25% off home insurance and 5 years of discounts. Remember to compare with online comparison sites before signing a policy.
– Degustabox offer – get your first box of food items for only 7.99€ (valued at 25€), use code NUEVO799. See our article What’s In The Box to find out more about Degustabox and other monthly sample companies.
– Check out the Spanish Property Magazine for free this month, need to download the app for iPad only.
– Updated info about offers from El Corte Inglés on our website.
– Sales on at Marks and Spencer EU site, need to spend 99€ to get free delivery or get together with a friend and make one joint order.
– Rituals stores have sales on in stores and online until 26 Jan, with an additional online promo (website in English) until 12 Jan get a free gift with your order using one of the following three codes: MELCHOR, GASPAR, BALTASAR.
– Woolovers sales, up to 36% off selected items (more than just woolly jumpers!).
– Media Markt 15 anniversary – special discounts available until 12 Jan in stores, but if buying online watch out as many items are “agotado” (out of stock).
– Hertz global sale, up to 33% off for bookings before 26 Jan.
– Cheap cinema tickets on Wednesdays: Yelmo and Cinesa 3.90€, Kinepolis 4.90€ from 15 Jan to 15 Apr.
– Updated info about no annual fee credit cards in Spain, includes Obsidiana card from Bankinter.
– Register at Telepizza Pizza Lovers online and get a 15% discount on Wednesdays until end of Feb. Need to register 72 hours before first order, can’t combine with other promos.
– If you have a Movistar mobile phone contract, you can try Spotify Premium for 1 month free and if you decide to continue you’ll get a 40% discount.
– 3×2 at Fnac stores and online on films & music until 3 Feb.
– Try Cabú capsules for free (compatible with Nespresso machines), box of 12 coffee and tea capsules available (mainland Spain only – need to register).
– Promo still on from last year: Try Wuaki online film streaming free for one month.