10 Smart Ways To Make Your Kitchen Look Brand NEW
The average kitchen remodel/upgrade can run into costing you 1.000’s & high end ones can be as much as a house!
But you don’t NEED to spend a whole lot of money to update a tired kitchen. Whether you’ve lived in your house for yonks, you’ve just moved in, preparing to sell or you’re renting & want to make it ‘home’, here are 10 smart ways to give it a refresh & make it look brand NEW without breaking the bank :
1. Update The Backsplash – In an outdated kitchen a dingy backsplash (the wall behind your sink/oven) can be depressing – to modernize a tiled backsplash without replacing it consider re-grouting to spruce it up – dig out the old grout & replace with new.
Or once properly prepared (thoroughly cleaned & sanded) several coats of tile paint works wonders if you don’t like the colour or are trying to cover dated borders or patterns. ASK at your paint shop & get your tile specific paint tinted to complement your kitchen cupboards.
DIY Tile stickers are another option & are readily available online, literally zillions of designs to choose from! Toughened Glass backsplash’s are beautiful to look at, easy to clean & maintain plus minimal fuss to install – this can be done over your existing tiles or substrate so is relatively quick!
Antique Mirrored Backsplash installed over old tiles
2. Replace Handles & Knobs – these are the ‘jewels’ of your kitchen & can be the subtle refresh without spending big money! Whether you buy online or from your DIY store be sure to measure the distance between your handle holes to make sure they’ll fit!
Sometimes a run through your dishwasher will make your existing handles look sparkly new.
Replace the handles & instantly upgrade your kitchen
3. Clean, clean, clean! – As a professional #kitchentransformer it constantly amazes me the difference deep cleaning can make! Even the oldest, most worn-out cupboards can look brighter with a really good swab down & de-gunge!
A dampened microfibre cloth with a dash of dish detergent is the kindest way to clean your painted kitchen.
A vinegar scrub or a bicarbonate of soda paste will brighten up tiled floor grouting or here in Spain having your marble floors re-polished makes a massive difference. Wooden floors can be refinished & there are laminate flooring options to suit all budgets.
Clean & your kitchen looks brand new
4. Replace The Kitchen Tap – your kitchen tap may leak or you simply want to replace it as an update. The good news is that you DON’T need to be an expert to replace it!
DO check that the new tap will fit the ‘mounting’ (existing) holes on your sink unit. I find this is a two-handed job for the amateurs amongst us! One to be underneath the sink base & one above holding the new tap in place! But then that might just be me :0)
It does look uber smart if your new tap matches your new handles!
Renewing your kitchen tap
5. De-clutter! – as the heart of your home it’s no surprise that the kitchen is the collection spot for anything & everything!! At any one time there can be a paint gun, hammer, bike pump, bike (!) or random piece of discarded furniture languishing in our kitchen!
Tidying up your work surfaces INSTANTLY makes your kitchen space look bigger & more modern! Keep your personal touches to a minimum on work tops, put things away if you can. A clean & uncluttered kitchen makes cooking a dream & looks like new, promise!
Nothing says ‘NEW’ or Designer like clear work tops! De-Clutter!
6. Add Textiles – incorporating fabrics into your kitchen CHANGES the look in minutes!
Textiles soften hard surfaces & add depth. Laying a ‘runner’ extends the space & helps prevent slippery floors.
Accent BOLDS/stripes/patterns in cloths & tea towels are easy to swap about & add a pop of colour. Blinds diffuse light & provide privacy. Get CREATIVE!
Add a runner to extend the space
7. Fresh Paint – lighter, brighter colours help to make your kitchen space look bigger. Neutrals look elegant & expensive, darker colours look lavish & extravagant.
If your kitchen cabinets are wooden, MDF, vinyl wrapped or laminate & in good working order a professional paint job WILL make your kitchen look brand new! A beautifully painted kitchen will make it look straight out of the showroom. Get #thebespokeapproach & hire a Kitchen painting specialist to do the job www.thepaintedkitchen.es http://www.hpkuk.uk
8. Lighting – NOTHING says NEW like bright kitchen lighting!
Up-date existing lights with more modern, lower energy units, add LED under-cabinet lights to put the spotlight on your food prep or add Pendant lighting over eating areas, Breakfast bars & Island units.
Bring in an electrician if your changing places, don’t mess with wiring if you’re unsure!
New lighting brightens, adds atmosphere & is welcoming
9. Upgrade Appliances – mis-matched appliances can date a kitchen & traditional white appliances can fade & discolour over time – modern stainless steel has a timeless appeal & retro pieces make awesome statements.
Before buying, make sure your new appliances fit your available space. Consider replacing one item at a time, spread the cost of your upgrade.
10. Replace The Work – Tops – next to changing the colour of your kitchen cabinets, replacing the work tops probably makes the BIGGEST impact in your quest for new.
Bear in mind that some surfaces are more durable than others – wooden tops require some maintenance to stay in tip-top condition, marble surfaces are porous & care needs to be taken with kitchen spills & cleaning agents. In short, seek professional advice or do your homework to make sure you get the right work surface for YOU.
Preparation is key to successful work top installation. You might want to consider having a new sink fitted at the same time to save on installation costs
You’re in your kitchen EVERYDAY! Even if you don’t cook chances are that it’s the most VISITED room in your house. It’s almost certainly the most EXPENSIVE room in your home so well worth looking after! Switch up a few small details & TRANSFORM your kitchen into something you’re happy & proud of WITHOUT leaving you penniless. Be SMART.
1 thought on “10 Smart Ways to Make Your Kitchen Look Brand New”
Hi Sam, Once again I have to say you are an inspiration.
It,s changing the kitchen door knobs that has got me thinking. Are you around this way anytime xx
Comments are closed.