Message from the British Embassy about Convenio Especial
You may be aware that the Servicio Andaluz de Salud has recently changed its policy regarding the application of the Convenio Especial in the region. We understand this has been an important issue for UK nationals in the region, in particular for residents who are early-retirees, and for those who are in the process of trying to complete their residency paperwork. With that in mind, we thought you might find it useful to receive some information about the current situation regarding the Convenio Especial in Andalusia.
- The Convenio Especial was put on hold in July 2018, after Andalusia began implementing the new Royal Decree-Law for Universal Healthcare. Those who were paying into the Convenio Especial were transferred over to the Universal Healthcare system, and applications for the Convenio Especial were closed.
- The Convenio Especial is a key way to access healthcare, particularly for the early retiree group who aren’t working, but aren’t yet claiming a state pension either. You can be accepted on the scheme if you have pre-existing conditions, so if you can’t get private health insurance because of your medical history then this is a good option for you.
- The Convenio Especial can also be used as proof of access to healthcare for the purposes of residency applications.
- Prescription costs are not subsidised on this scheme, they are charged at 100%.
- To be eligible to apply you need to have lived in Spain for a minimum of one year (and be able to prove this – see our blog for further details) and currently registered on the padrón.
Current situation (July 2019):
The Servicio Andaluz de Salud has confirmed that applications for the Convenio Especial in Andalusia are now open.
For more details about eligibility requirements and the application process, we have written and published a blog on our healthcare website which gives clear and detailed information for UK nationals who wish to apply for the scheme. Any UK national who encounters difficulties in applying for the Convenio Especial can contact our Healthcare Team (part of the UK Department of Health and Social Care) based in the British Embassy, Madrid: healthcare.spain(@)fco.gov.uk (please remove the bracelets when emailing) placing ‘PLEASE CONTACT ME’ in the subject line.
Alexis Aguilera, DHSC/DWP International Teams, Spain & Portugal